Friday, August 12, 2011

Name That Picture!

We take pictures at birthdays, graduations, holidays, vacations and other special events. These photographs create a record of life and solidify our memories. School pictures are taken every year. T-ball, softball, basketball….you get the point.

Most of us omit writing names and dates and other important information on the backs of these photographs. We think that we will always recognize the people in the pictures and we fool ourselves into thinking we will  remember the whens and wheres and whats. Future generations that may inquisitively view our pictures are rarely considered. 

I often find myself looking through a photo album and asking myself, “Now was that my daughter's 2nd or 3rd birthday party?” Thankfully, I am a photo freak and the answer can be found on the back of the picture. I HATE writing names on pics. It drives me crazy (short trip), but it is a must do! I have begun printing entire photo books with the names listed below the picture, rather than individual photos, so I can avoid the monotonous hand labeling process. 

I have around one-hundred lonesome, old pictures that are sadly, unlabeled. These scenes and these people were important enough to be photographed and I know I share a connection with them, somehow, but their exact kinship, in most cases, will forever be a mystery.

I am very thankful to two of my best buds, Chris and Ben, for helping me put names to some of these faces. It’s amazing the stories that can be evoked by a 60, 70, 80+year old picture. Simply amazing.

Now folks, please do your kids, your grand-kids, your great-grand-kids, etc. a favor. Print your pictures!  Write the names and any necessary details on the backs of your pictures! Hopefully we’ll all be lucky enough to have at least a few descendants that actually care about these things as I do.

Now to the current picture in question, which HAS NOTHING WRITTEN ON THE BACK.  I am thinking the people in this photo are probably Compton’s and if I ask the right people I can probably get some names. However what perplexes me more is what the heck they are doing. Initially I thought it was a glass bottom boat.  Then….the only other thought that came to mind was that they were sitting around the #23 mining shaft waiting for the door to open so that they can snap pictures of a  gnome riding by in a mine cart, however that is probably not so.

Maybe the caption to this photo is an easy one that I am just not getting. Anyone who can fill me in, has any guesses, etc. Please post. 


5 comments:

  1. I have no clue but I do think that picture is very cool and also that it was kept in good condition for it to be so old. What a remarkable picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have Andy Griffin is the picture the first one on the right. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could it be a Baptistery? Maybe in a church, I’m just guessing but I love the kid with his mouth open wide!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the right is Gene Robinson, Ann Compton Robinson, ?, Steve Rodgers.

    ReplyDelete

Read and Post Comments