Sunday, August 7, 2011

Chore Charts and Chopping Cotton

Chores. Ahh, the word most dreaded by my children.  Whenever I hand out the chore list, without fail someone always simultaneously develops a stomach ache, or headache, or some similar illness. I am not sure if they have developed an allergy to the paper that the list is printed on or what? Although I do have a sneaking suspicion that these are only excuses. 

Putting up the dishes, wiping the table off, folding laundry, etc. These chores are a bit easier than my duties as a child. Not that I didn’t sometimes enjoy my chores, but feeding pigs every morning and helping to put out feed for 70,000 chickens takes a bit more effort than folding underwear.
 
Now, an introduction to my upcoming story.

Children’s chores, say seventy years ago or so, varied greatly from modern children’s chores. Seventy years ago children from farm families picked tobacco, pulled corn and/or chopped cotton.  Many children here in The South (Yes The and South are supposed to be capitalized! LOL) were still wringing out laundry and hanging it outside to dry. Other children…..well some of them had some very, let’s say unique chores as you will see in tomorrow’s story!! Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Read and Post Comments